Monday 21 January 2019

Penang Bridge Accident - My Two-cents

Yesterday, the Nation was shocked by a news about a road crash on the Penang bridge that happened at 2.30 a.m. between 2 childhood friends who was returning home from the same birthday party. The cars were a Toyota Vios and a Mazda CX5. The SUV however, plunged into the sea, where witnesses could do nothing. After series of news report, turned out the Vios Driver, aged 21, who was driving like a demon (as a dashcam video showed), was tested positive for ganja and alcohol. Yikes. 

Image result for Penang bridge accident
A Toyota Vios, wrecked on the Penang Bridge. Image by NST. 
I know I'm not in the position to give any opinions on this matter. I'm sure there are billions of netizens out there who have a lot to say about this accident. What I'm writing here is just what I think. Random thoughts, obviously. 


As you can see from the video above, the Vios driver was driving insanely dangerously, overtaking cars using the left lane, swerving left and right without braking, pretending he's driving a Ferrari. I have to say, you don't drive a Vios like that. Vios is a Japanese version of MYVI. It's mere purpose of existence is to get from point A to B slowly and safely. But fullspeed? Big mistake. Then, he hit the (also speeding) white SUV from a dangerous angle and speed and both lost control of their cars and one was unfortunate to fall into the hungry sea. 

There are many reports, articles on this accident. But after reading series of official news reports, here are my thoughts:
  1. On Alcohol & Drugs : Don't drink and drive. No matter what. The advantage of being a Muslim is that it's forbidden to drink alcohol, which helps a lot in reducing the percentage of DUI drivers in this country. However, due to the small number of road crash caused by DUI here (as compared to other road crash courses), the Don't Drink and Drive campaign barely exist. So is the law enforcement. Hence, you see people driving around drunk like it's nothing.
  2. On Speeding : Kids are crazy. Hell when I was 20 years old I would drive around like a maniac. But not to the extent of causing accidents. I know when to speed and when not to. Reports mentioned that the Vios driver had been involved in many crashes. So why is he still allowed to drive? 
  3. On staying out late at night : Nothing good happens after 12.00 midnight. I know how it feels being 20 and wanting to explore the world, especially midnights. I did it once, and all I felt was sleepy the whole time. But when activities involve drinking and smokin weed, I'd understand why they'd want it to last till dawn. But all it caused in this case was death. Right now, the government is considering a curfew for those 18 and below. I'd definitely be on board if the age increases to 21. Even Americans still categorizes people below 21 as kids. 
So there it is. My thoughts on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment